Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I'm starting to realize tomatoes are a recurring theme in my life.

In my early years of college I worked at Fazoli's. Well, I sobered up while giving people breadsticks while getting paid. And with me worked this amazingly cool, charming, fun guy. He was a favorite to work with because he was so entertaining. I once watched him ninja roll out of the drive thru to take his cigarette break. One time out of no where he asked me "what do you want to be when you grow up?" I thought about it then responded. Then I asked him what he wanted to be. His response: "a firetruck." Everyone loved him. And I was deeply in lust with his awkward friend who also worked with us.

For some reason I love socially awkward boys. Not socially awkward to any extreme extent, just the slightly awkward, but awesome once you get to know them guys.  The guy who is always just kinda standing in the corner, but you go talk to them, and they just blow your mind with their response. The problem is, these guys are super shy and easily overwhelmed. I am loud, obnoxious and abrasive. So it usually doesn't end well.

This boy, N, was great. When you could get him to speak, he was hilarious and witty. He was cute. I spent my shifts finding ways to talk to him and get him to respond with more than a couple words. I got to the point that we had whole conversations whenever we worked together. Then one day his outgoing friend informed us he was throwing a party at N's apartment. I was in.

I went shopping with my friends and got the sluttiest shirt I could find, that we were also confident I could function in drunk. We got ready--we pregamed to fix my nerves.

When we got to the party it was great. In his own setting N was still a little reserved but much more social. He and I were getting along great; I felt charming. I was working hard to not be too overwhelming. He seemed interested, but he's shy so he made no moves. Guys like this don't make moves. 

While I am super outgoing, when it comes to making moves, I generally don't do it. You would think rejection is a monster under my bed. It scares the shit out of me. My ego can't take it.

I made a move.

My friends and I were leaving, and N and I lingered while saying goodbye. I was going to say something, do something, anything to progress this situation. I chickened out and went outside with my friends. My friends told me it was obvious he was into me, what am I thinking, he's shy--I have to make the move. That sounded about right, so I went inside, and without a word grabbed him, kissed him, smiled, and went back outside. I couldn't stand to actually see the fallout. I assumed I was being mysterious. I figured I would let him process this situation and we would go forward the next time I see him.  I was happy the rest of the night.

We work together, so he has to talk to me again, right?

The next day he quit (with a super funny note) and I never saw him again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment